Listen up Motorheards! Its time to test your skill and nerve in the annual PineWood Derby. Many enter, and some are lucky enough to not leave in an ambulance. Race for pink slips. Race for Glory, but always race by the rules.
And they are summarized here:
- Only one car may be registered per Scout.
- Building of the car must have begun during the current Scouting year.
- The car must be registered, pass inspection and impounded before the registration deadline to be eligible to compete. No further modification or lubrication of the car is allowed after impounding.
- Width: 2.75″ or less (including the wheels)
- Length: 7.00″ or less
- Height: 4.00″ or less (including all trim items)
- Under car clearance: 0.375” (3/8”) or more
- Inside wheel-to-wheel clearance: 1.75” or more
- Axle-to-axle spacing: 4.40″ +/– 0.125″
- Car weight: 5.00 ounces or less
Building of cars
- ALL work (including improvements to wheels, axles, and car body) must be done by the Scout and the parent (Akela). The intent is to have the Scout HAVE FUN and build as much of the car as reasonably and safely as possible. The use of pre-shaped car bodies, machined wheels or axles acquired from the Internet or other sources is NOT allowed.
- Axles, wheels and body MUST be from the materials provided in the official BSA Pinewood Derby Car Kit or official BSA replacement components. Revell, Pinecar, or any other aftermarket parts that are not of the exact type included in the original kit are NOT allowed.
- Additional trim items are allowed as long as total weight and size don’t exceed the maximums.
- No loose materials (weights, characters or trim) are permitted. Weights must not move.
Wheels and axles
- Axle nails must be securely mounted into the wood of the car body such that at least three wheels will sit flat, with full tread contact, when set on a flat surface. Axle treatment is allowed (i.e. deburring/ polishing).
- Wheel treatment (hub and tread smoothing and polishing) may not result in substantial removal of mass or in substantial reduction of the wheel width or diameter from the original kit wheels.
- Wheel hub caps, washers, inserts, sleeves, bushings, and bearings are NOT permitted.
- The car may not ride on springs or other suspension.
- The car must be powered ONLY by gravity.
- Only dry lubricants are allowed. Lubricants may not foul the track.
If you are a real rule nerd, download this dock!
and remember kids, rules are for squares!!